Tanabata Japanese Star Celebration
MAKE A WISH! TANABATA JAPANESE STAR CELEBRATION
Celebrate the annual reunion of Japan’s iconic star-crossed lovers
with cultural activities!
Saturday, July 8, beginning at 10 a.m.
In partnership with the Consulate General of Japan in Houston
The Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center and the Consulate General of Japan in Houston would like to invite you to celebrate the Make a Wish! “Tanabata 七夕” Japanese Star Celebration. As legend is told in Japanese culture, two star-crossed lovers, Vega and Altair, are separated by the Milky Way. They are allowed to meet only once a year on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month. This reunion marks the celebration of Tanabata (meaning the evening of the seventh).
- Tanzaku: Write down a wish on a card and hang it on a bamboo tree at OcuSOFT® Art Academy.
- Origami: Master the art of Japanese paper folding by making stars at OcuSOFT® Art Academy.
- Tanabata Postcard: Decorate a postcard to mail to your friends at OcuSOFT® Art Academy.
ON-GOING “SCI-FI SUMMER” ACTIVITIES:
- Lemon- Powered Clock: convert lemons into battery cells to design a clock at Science Station.
- Sonic Screwdriver: Assemble your own handy dandy screwdriver like Doctor Who at Junktion.
- Back in Time Watch: Design a watch which would help you travel through time at Junktion.
- Steampunk Time Traveler: Design the perfect time travel accessory at Junktion.
Make a Wish! “Tanabata 七夕” Japanese Star Celebration
July 8, 2017, from 10 a.m. to noon
***Activities, events and times subject to change.
Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center, 198 Kemper St., Sugar Land, TX, 77498
- MUSEUM HOURS: – Sat.: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- General Museum admission: $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65+. Children under one and Museum Members receive free admission.
- For more information, visit childrensdiscoveryfb.org or call (832) 742-2800.