Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center Welcomes Its 100,000th Visitor
SUGAR LAND (April 7, 2017) – The Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center – A Very Special Project of the Children’s Museum of Houston is excited to announce that it has reached its 100,000th visitor. The lucky visitor was Roshmy Vilangattusil, a Discovery Center member, who visited with her two young boys (and is expecting a girl) on the morning of April 7. This huge milestone occurred less than a year of the Discovery Center’s grand opening.
The Discovery Center has been named among the top ten best things to do in Sugar Land, Texas by Trip Advisor and will celebrate its first birthday bash at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 20, 2017, presented by Baird featuring special birthday themed activities for families to enjoy.
Housed on the first floor of a 12,500 square foot repurposed historical building at Imperial Market (formerly known as Imperial Sugar and which is now being restored by Johnson Development), and with the mission to transform communities through innovative child-centered learning, five galleries are managed as platforms for learning for children from birth to 12-years.
Programming changes weekly and the “How Are We Alike?” Cultural gallery rotates annually to a new cultural exhibit. Additionally, once construction for Imperial Market is completed, the Discovery Center will provide PlayWorks, an outdoor playground where you leap, jump, crawl and climb up on the south side of the Discovery Center.
Each gallery is focused on the following quintessential childhood questions:
- “Can I Solve That?” sponsored by ECOLAB®.
- “How Are We Alike?” sponsored by McDonald’s Restaurants of Greater Houston in partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Houston/Galveston.
- “How Does it Work?” sponsored by Ann and John Johnson.
- “Where Does It Come From?” sponsored by Mercedes-Benz of Sugar Land.
- “Can I Do That?” sponsored by Charlene Pate.
- “How Does My Baby Grow?” sponsored by Union Pacific
Each gallery contains the following exhibits respectively:
- Everyone Counts! A collection of bilingual games, brain teasers and activates from around the world which shows how everyone counts!
- Dragons & Fairies: Where modern-day Vietnam interweaves with centuries-old folktales.
- How Does It Work?: A place to get your imagination cranking.
- Kidtropolis: A Fort Bend city for kids, run by kids! Includes the following businesses:
- Art Academy sponsored by OcuSOFT®
- Bank sponsored by Wells Fargo.
- Bank Building sponsored by Fred and Mabel Parks Foundation.
- Diner sponsored by Another Time Soda Fountain & Café.
- H-E-B Market sponsored by H-E-B.
- Kidtropolis Community School sponsored by Fort Bend Christian Academy.
- Municipal Building sponsored by Manmeet and Paul Likhari.
- News Bureau sponsored by Fort Bend Herald.
- Precision Center sponsored by Mercedes-Benz of Sugar Land.
- Vet Clinic sponsored by ABC Animal and Bird Clinic.
- Tot*Spot: A one-stop spot for tots.
The Museum has delivered outreach programming to low income families living in Fort Bend since the mid-1990s. It has worked with more than 60-partners in the community to ensure underserved populations get free access to the Museum and to raise awareness about the Museum’s family learning programming. Additionally, parents in Fort Bend have benefited from the Museum’s school-based initiatives such as Parent Stars and Para Los Niños, which provide bilingual resources and support so they can increase the learning and literacy skills of their children, as well as from A’STEAM, (Afterschool Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) a program designed to give children opportunities to build levels of scientific and mathematical literacy through hands-on investigations and challenges.
ABOUT FORT BEND CHILDREN’S DISCOVERY CENTER
The Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center – A Very Special Project of the Children’s Museum of Houston is located at 198 Kempner St., Sugar Land, TX 77498. Hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. General admission for adults and children (Ages 1+) is $12. For more information, please visit www.childrensdiscoveryfb.org. Also, “like” the Museum on Facebook www.facebook.com/FortBendDiscoveryCenter, Twitter https://twitter.com/FortBendCDC and Instagram www.instragram.com/fbdiscoverycenter/
ABOUT CHILDREN’S MUSEUM OF HOUSTON
“America’s No. 1 Children’s Museum” by Parents Magazine, listed among Forbes, LA Times and USA Today’s “Best Children’s Museums in the U.S.,” winner of Houston A-List “Best Museum 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015,” Kids Out and About “Top 20 Places to Take Kids in Houston, 2013, 2014 & 2015,” and one of “Houston’s Must See Museums” by Travel Channel, the Children’s Museum of Houston is a Playground for Your Mind™. It is dedicated to transforming communities through innovative, child-centered learning with a vision to spark a passion for lifelong learning in all children. Founded in 1980 and housed in a whimsical building designed by internationally acclaimed architect Robert Venturi, the Children’s Museum of Houston offers a multitude of innovative exhibits and bilingual learning programs for kids ages birth to 12 years. The Museum serves more than 1,100,000 people annually and operates as a 501(c)(3) under the direction of a Board of Directors. For more information, please visit www.cmhouston.org or call (713) 522-1138. Can your mind come out to play?™