Our First Birthday Bash
You’re invited to the Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center’s one year anniversary celebration!
DJ, mascots, “happy birthday” singing, and cake spotlight ceremony
Saturday, May 20, 2017
Birthday ceremony at 10:30 a.m.
Free admission to kids one year and younger and May 20th birthdays
Open at 9 a.m. for Members-only; general public open at 10 a.m.
SUGAR LAND (April 20, 2017) –You’re invited to our First Birthday Bash! The Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center – A Very Special Project of the Children’s Museum of Houston will celebrate its first birthday at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 20, 2017. Baird, a global financial services firm with offices in Houston, will serve as birthday bash sponsor and offer free admission to kids one year and younger and anyone with a May 20th birthday. The celebration will kick off with a jubilant ceremony complete with a marching band, jugglers, and “happy birthday” singing, culminating with a burst of confetti cannons. A DJ’s heart pounding beats will fuel the celebration along with the serving of free cake and a visit from special guests including Pikachu and H-E-B’s H-E-Buddy.
The Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center welcomed its 100,000 visitor in early April and is ranked among the “Top 10 Best Things to Do in Sugar Land” by TripAdvisor. Housed on the first floor of a 12,500 square foot repurposed historical building at Imperial Market (formerly known as Imperial Sugar and which is now being restored by Johnson Development), and with the mission to transform communities through innovative child-centered learning, five galleries are managed as platforms for learning for children from birth to 12-years. Additionally, once construction for Imperial Market is completed, the Discovery Center will provide PlayWorks, an outdoor playground where you leap, jump, crawl and climb up on the south side of the Discovery Center.
Each gallery is focused on the following quintessential childhood questions:
- “Can I Solve That?” sponsored by ECOLAB®.
- “How Are We Alike?” sponsored by McDonald’s Restaurants of Greater Houston in partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Houston/Galveston.
- “How Does it Work?” sponsored by Ann and John Johnson.
- “Where Does It Come From?” sponsored by Mercedes-Benz of Sugar Land.
- “Can I Do That?” sponsored by Charlene Pate.
- “How Does My Baby Grow?” sponsored by Union Pacific
Each gallery contains the following exhibits respectively:
- Everyone Counts! A collection of bilingual games, brain teasers and activates from around the world which shows how everyone counts!
- Dragons & Fairies: Where modern-day Vietnam interweaves with centuries-old folktales.
- How Does It Work?: A place to get your imagination cranking.
- Kidtropolis: A Fort Bend city for kids, run by kids! Includes the following businesses:
- Art Academy sponsored by OcuSOFT®
- Bank sponsored by Wells Fargo.
- Bank Building sponsored by Fred and Mabel Parks Foundation.
- Diner sponsored by Another Time Soda Fountain & Café.
- H-E-B Market sponsored by H-E-B.
- Kidtropolis Community School sponsored by Fort Bend Christian Academy.
- Municipal Building sponsored by Manmeet and Paul Likhari.
- News Bureau sponsored by Fort Bend Herald.
- Precision Center sponsored by Mercedes-Benz of Sugar Land.
- Vet Clinic sponsored by ABC Animal and Bird Clinic.
- Tot*Spot: A one-stop spot for tots.
The Museum has delivered outreach programming to low income families living in Fort Bend since the mid-1990s. It has worked with more than 60-partners in the community to ensure underserved populations get free access to the Museum and to raise awareness about the Museum’s family learning programming. Additionally, parents in Fort Bend have benefited from the Museum’s school-based initiatives such as Parent Stars and Para Los Niños, which provide bilingual resources and support so they can increase the learning and literacy skills of their children, as well as from A’STEAM, (Afterschool Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) a program designed to give children opportunities to build levels of scientific and mathematical literacy through hands-on investigations and challenges.
ABOUT FORT BEND CHILDREN’S DISCOVERY CENTER
Ranked as one of the “Top 10 Things to Do in Sugar Land” on TripAdvisor, The Fort Bend Children’s Discovery Center is a Playground for Your Mind™. It is dedicated to transforming communities through innovative, child-centered learning with a vision to spark a passion for lifelong learning in all children. Located at 198 Kempner St., Sugar Land, TX 77498 in the Historic Imperial Market, the Discovery Center offers a multitude of innovative exhibits and bilingual learning programs for kids ages birth to 12 years. Admission is $12 per person and $11 for seniors 65 years and older and for members of the military. HOURS are Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. For more information, please visit www.childrensdiscoveryfb.org or call (832) 742-2800. Also, “like” the Museum on Facebook, www.facebook.com/FortBendDiscoveryCenter Can your mind come out to play?™
Baird is an employee-owned, international wealth management, capital markets, private equity and asset management firm with offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Established in 1919, Baird has more than 3,400 associates serving the needs of individual, corporate, institutional and municipal clients. Baird has $171 billion in client assets. Committed to being a great place to work, Baird ranked No. 4 on FORTUNE’s 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2017 – its 14th consecutive year on the list. Baird is the marketing name of Baird Financial Group. Baird’s principal operating subsidiaries are Robert W. Baird & Co. in the United States and Robert W. Baird Group Ltd. in Europe. Baird also has an operating subsidiary in Asia supporting Baird’s investment banking and private equity operations. For more information, please visit Baird’s Web site at www.rwbaird.com.